Surrounded by the Caribbean sea, Atlantic ocean and the Pitons, St Lucia is a small but beautiful island nation in the West Indies. If you are planning to visit St Lucia for a vacation or for business, you need to know all about the latest terms and conditions with regards to the St Lucia passport. In this blog, we will take you through the St Lucia passport requirements, travel necessities, visa requirements and more. Make sure to bookmark this article, especially if you are traveling from the United States.
If you are traveling to St Lucia from the United States, you need to have a passport that is at least valid for six months after your travel date to St Lucia. In addition to this, visitors need to share their proof of departure date along with accommodation details at the time of entering Saint Lucia.
St Lucia Passport and Visa Requirements from Popular Destinations
|Citizenship||Passport Requirement||Return Ticket||Visa Requirement|
Visa Requirements for US Citizens Traveling to St Lucia
US citizens traveling to St Lucia can stay on the island for a period of 90 days without a visa. This time period is usually more than sufficient if you are planning for a vacation in St Lucia. But if you are planning to stay in the island country for more than three months, then you need to apply for a visa. You can do so by applying through the immigration department in St Lucia.
Passport Requirement While Doing an Air Travel
Even if you are traveling to St Lucia by air, you need to provide a valid passport. The passport should be valid for at least six months during your travel to St Lucia. Travelers should note that they must have at least one page blank in their passport book so that there’s enough space to put the entry stamp while he/she enters St Lucia. Moreover, visitors to St Lucia also need to show their proof of departure date, that is their return ticket from St Lucia.
Passport Requirement While Cruising in St Lucia
If you are planning to travel to St Lucia by water, then you can either provide your passport or show any other documents like Passport cards, Trusted Traveler Programs, Enhanced driver’s license.
Although your travel via cruise ships to St Lucia doesn’t require passport as you can use any other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant documents like passport cards or enhanced driver’s license, it is still advisable for US citizens to carry their passport during their travel to St Lucia especially in case of any emergencies that can require travel by air. Before traveling on a cruise, make sure to know the rules and regulations of other islands that your ship might navigate on its way to St Lucia. So make sure to have a chat with your respective cruise representative before you go ahead with your travel plans.
Exception cases while traveling on cruise
If you are availing Caribbean closed-loop cruises – cruises that kick starts and ends at the same place in the United States, then you don’t need to provide a passport. Travelers generally then provide their government issued driver’s license or birth certificate as tangible proof of their identity. But it has been noticed that the majority of the cruise travelers choose to carry their passport along when they travel so that they don’t face any difficulty while undertaking international travel.
Exceptions made for children
Children below 16 years old – Children under the age of sixteen can show their birth certificate, naturalization certificate or citizenship certificate as proof while traveling to and from St Lucia by water.
Children below 19 years old – In cases where children under the age of nineteen are traveling via sea, birth certificates can be used as proof instead of passports. This rule also applies to children under 19 years traveling to and from St Lucia with their school, church or social/cultural organizations and is under the supervision of an adult.
Like adults, minors also require a passport to travel to St Lucia via airways. Although U.S. minor citizens don’t require visas to visit St Lucia.
If you are traveling to St Lucia or any other Caribbean island, you can show a passport card. The passport card is a state-approved official document that can be used as a substitute. These passport cards cannot be used for air travel.
When it comes to cost, passport cards are less expensive. A passport card for an individual costs around $55. But if you want to get a passport book, it will cost you around $135.
Trusted Traveler Programs
If you are a frequent flier and want to expedite your airport experience, then you can avail the Trusted Traveler Program. The Trusted Traveler Program is also applicable at international borders. The Trusted Travel Programs include:
NEXUS : This is used to enter the US from Canada via land, air or sea
SENTRI: This is used to enter the United States from Canada and Mexico via land, air or sea
FAST: This is used to enter and exit the United States from Canada, Mexico by a commercial truck.
Enhanced Driver’s License
An EDL or Enhanced Driver’s License is a special government issued driver’s license that can be used as proof for both land and sea travel. With an EDL, you can reenter the US from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. If you are traveling by air, then EDL will not be applicable. Presently, EDL is issued by Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont and Washington State in the United States.
Application for a Passport Book to St Lucia
Make sure to apply for your passport as soon as you decide to travel to St Lucia. You should keep in mind that the cost of passport application will increase if you decide to apply for the passport just two weeks before your international travel. If you are a US citizen planning to apply for a passport, then you can visit this website for more details on new policies and guidelines.
Visas to St Lucia
If you are a citizen of one of the nations mentioned below, then you can travel visa free to St Lucia for a period of six weeks.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
- Isle of Man
- South Korea
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- Singapore ( can stay up to 15 days)
- Sint Eustatius
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Island
- United Arab Emirates (can stay for a period of 60 days)
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
Visa Categories and Cost
The cost of the visa is based on the nationality of the applicant and depends on the place from where he/she is applying from. Here is a brief overview:
Visa type cost
- Single-entry vacation visa Around $42
- Multiple-entry vacation visa Around $54
- Business visa Around $48
St Lucia Citizenship By Investment Program
If you are thinking of relocating to St Lucia, then the St Lucia Citizenship by Investment Program is one of the most suitable options for you. In return for an economic investment in the country, generally in the form of real estate investment, government bonds or a contribution for the National Economic Fund, you can acquire St Lucia citizenship.
Benefits of Saint Lucia passport
- The application processing time for the St Lucia passport is quite quick. It takes around three months to get your passport application processed, making it one of the fastest turnaround times in the world.
- The primary applicant can include his/her family members in the passport application – spouse, children, parents and grandparents.
- The St Lucia passport is one of the most economical passports in the world. Investors can obtain St Lucia citizenship in return of a minimum economic investment of $100,000.
- Applicants need to complete his/her investment only after receiving the citizenship application approval.
- To obtain citizenship in St Lucia, applicants don’t need to fulfill any stay requirements in the country.
- Saint Lucia passport holders can travel visa free to over 140 countries in the world. This includes popular destinations like countries in the Schengen area, United Kingdom, Hong Kong , Singapore and more.
- Saint Lucia citizens enjoy various tax redemptions. There is no tax on capital, wealth or inheritance tax.
St Lucia Passport Requirements
If you are planning to obtain a second citizenship in St Lucia, you need to meet certain criteria. They include:
- You should be over the age of 18.
- You should successfully complete your investment in St Lucia and be able to provide proof of the investment done in the country.
- You should have no criminal record and must be of outstanding character.
- You should have no serious health conditions.
- You should pass the stringent background/security check.
- You should be able to pay the processing fee (non refundable), diligence fee, and administrative fees on the time of your application.
St Lucia Investment Routes
If you are planning to get St Lucia citizenship, then there are four ways of investment routes that you can choose from.
Financial contribution to National Economic Fund
This is a type of special fund established by the government of St Lucia to accept economic contributions from investors for funding government-approved projects.
- If you are a single applicant, you need to make a minimum contribution of $100,000.
- If you are applying for citizenship along with your spouse, you need to make a minimum contribution of $140,000.
- If you are applying with your spouse and two qualifying dependents, then you need to make a minimum contribution of $150,000.
- For each additional qualifying dependent (they can be of any age), you need to pay $25,000.
Real Estate Investment
If you are planning to obtain St Lucia citizenship through real estate investment, then you can invest through either of the two ways:
- You can make a minimum economic investment of $200,000 in pre-approved luxurious branded hotels and resorts.
- You can invest a minimum amount of $200,000 in a boutique property.
If you wish to invest in an enterprise based out of Saint Lucia, then you can do so through the following seven options:
- 1: Specialty Restaurants
- 2: Cruise ports and marinas
- 3: Agro-processing plants
- 4: Pharmaceutical products
- 5: Ports, bridges, roads, and highways
- 6: Research institutions and facilities
- 7: Offshore universities
If you are an individual, then you need to make a minimum investment of $3.5 million after your investment route is finalized. If you are planning to undertake a joint venture, then you need to make a minimum investment of $ 6 million, where each applicant needs to contribute a minimum of $1 million.
In addition to this cost, applicants also have to pay due application, diligence and processing fees.
Investment in Government Bonds
You can also obtain St Lucia citizenship by investing in government bonds. The government bonds need to be registered in the name of the applicant and should remain so for a period of five years from the first date of issue of the government bond.
- Minimum purchase of $300,000 in National Action Bonds
In addition to this cost, applicants also have to pay due application, diligence and processing fees.
St Lucia Passport Procedure
If you already are a St Lucia citizen and are planning to obtain a St Lucia passport, then you can send in your application to the nearest St Lucia consulate. The processing turnaround time is generally around fourteen days, but if you want to avail the express options that will charge you additionally, you can get your passport within 1-5 working days.
- Cost of regular passport – EC$80.00 (in USD- 30)
- Cost of express passport – EC$130.00 (in USD – 48)
Immigration requirements to obtain a St Lucia passport
- Applicants who are 16-17 years old need to provide a NIS card for applicants.
- Applicants over the age of 18 and more need to provide a National Identification Card as proof.
- Birth certificate of the applicant
Do I need to complete the St Lucia travel registration form before traveling to St Lucia?
Yes, you need to complete a Travel Registration Form before visiting St Lucia. Make sure to complete this at least seven days of your departure date.
What are the St Lucia visa requirements for US permanent residents?
If you are a US permanent resident, then you don’t need a visa to stay in St Lucia for a period of up to six weeks. But you need to have the following documents:
- You should have a valid passport that should remain so for at least a period of six months after your visit to St Lucia.
- You should provide your itinerary – arrival and return tickets.
- Provide documents showcasing your travel purpose.
- Financial proof and your expected period of stay.
Where do I get the St Lucia passport renewal application form?
You can renew your St Lucia passport within a week. You can access the St Lucia passport here.
How long does my passport need to be valid if I plan to travel to St Lucia?
If you are planning to travel to St Lucia, then your passport should be valid at least six months after your date of travel to the island country.
How long does travel authorization take St Lucia?
A travel authorization needs around three days for processing. If you do not receive a travel authorization letter within 48 hours of your travel, you need to email [email protected]
Do you need a passport to go to St Lucia from the US?
Yes, you do need a passport to get to St Lucia. US citizens can travel St Lucia visa-free, and stay there for 42 days, as long as they present, at arrival, both their passport and proof of departure (flight or cruise tickets, for example).
For more information on St Lucia, you can check out our following articles:
- Everything you need to know about the St Lucia passport
- St Lucia Citizenship by Investment – The Ultimate Guide by Experts
- Key amendments to St Lucia’s Citizenship by Investment Act
- Americans relocating to St Lucia
- St Lucia Immigration Guide
- Living in St Lucia – Best cities For Relocating