The Golden Visa Portugal is one of the most popular residency-by-investment programs in the world. Since its inception in 2012, thousands of families have successfully relocated to Portugal ― the darling heart of Southwestern Europe ― and have started new lives. Why exactly is the Portuguese Golden Visa so in-demand? And why are non-EU citizens applying in the hundreds?
In this Golden Visa Portugal 2021 Ultimate Guide, you’ll learn more about:
- What the Golden Visa Portugal is
- Key benefits of the program
- How to get the Golden Visa in Portugal
- Documents required
- Program costs
…and so much more!
What is the Golden Visa Portugal?
The Portugal Golden Visa Program, also known as the Residence Permit Program is a five-year residency-by-investment scheme for non-EU nationals. It’s part of Portugal’s immigration move to welcome investors in the country.
From its mesmerizing Atlantic coastline and luscious landscapes to its year-round sunshine, Portugal’s charm is irresistible. The golden visa grants qualifying investors and their family members the right to live, work and study in Portugal and permits free movement in Europe’s Schengen Area.
Opportunities to become a permanent resident or citizen are possible, provided that the qualifying investment is kept for at least five years, and that all requirements set forth by the Portuguese immigration and nationality laws are obeyed.
IMPORTANT: Portugal Golden Visa Changes 2021
From an ongoing COVID-19 pandemic to Portuguese Golden Visa changes, it’s important to stay informed.
From 1 January 2022, the Portuguese Golden Visa program will change.
- The minimum investment threshold to qualify for residency will increase
- The investment fund amount option for the Golden Visa will change from €350,000 to €500,000
- The capital transfer amount option for the Golden Visa will change from €1 million to €1.5 million
- New real estate investment restrictions will kick in. Properties in Lisbon, Porto, and other high-density coastal towns will not qualify for property investments under the Golden Visa scheme
- Applicants have until the end of 2021 to take advantage of the current Portuguese Golden Visa scheme.
Check out the latest changes to the Portugal Golden Visa Program here.
Benefits of the Portuguese Golden Visa
The benefits of a Portuguese Golden Visa are one of the main reasons why foreign investors are so vested in applying and seeking residency.
Some top benefits of the program include: