So you’re ready to start your journey into acquiring Portuguese residency, but you’re stuck. How to successfully secure your Portugal Golden Visa? Fret not, we’ve created a step-by-step guide on using the Portugal Golden Visa official website for your application.
You’ll learn about:
- What the Portugal Golden Visa is
- How to submit your golden visa application
- How to acquire the permanent residence permit
What is the Portugal Golden Visa Program?
The Portugal Golden Visa Program is an attractive five-year residency by investment initiative for non-EU nationals. Investors must first invest in the nation (usually in real estate) and are in turn given permanent residence cards. Family members are also eligible for residency.
The Portugal Golden Visa is a quick, efficient pathway for non-EU nationals to set their foot into the European Union since it allows applicants to live, work, or study in Portugal, an EU member state. After five years of holding your investment, it’s possible to acquire Portuguese citizenship (and therefore EU citizenship), provided that a basic language test is passed.
Curious to learn more? Check out our handy Golden Visa Portugal Ultimate Guide for more information.
Step-by-Step Instructions on Navigating the Portugal Golden Visa Official Website
A key requirement when applying for the Portugal Golden Visa is to pre-register via the official website and follow all the necessary steps. While the Portugal Golden Visa application process is relatively straightforward, it can be cumbersome for those unfamiliar with the Portuguese bureaucratic system. As such, we’ve broken the process for you into six easy steps.
Step 1: Determine your eligibility
If you tick the following boxes, congratulations! You’re eligible to apply for the Portugal Golden Visa.
- Be a non-EU, non-swiss, or non-EEA citizen
- Hold a clean criminal record
- Spend a minimum of seven days in Portugal for the first year, then no less than 14 days each subsequent two-year period.
- Have enough funds to invest in (minimum investment requirements start from €250,000)
Do you have questions or concerns? Chat to one of our Portugal Golden Visa Consultants so we can understand your objectives and help determine what you need to do to succeed in your Portugal Golden Visa application.
Step 2: Choose your investment route
So you’re ready to commit to the Portugal Golden Visa program and are excited to choose your investment route to Portuguese residency. But what investment option to pick?
We’ve got you covered. Below are the accepted investment routes, as stipulated by the Portugal Golden Visa official website. Note that some of these investment routes have changed thanks to new Portuguese legislation, meaning, some investment options like buying residential property in key urban hubs like Lisbon or Porto no longer exist. For more information, read up on the Portugal Golden Visa changes here.
Investment options for the Portugal Golden Visa:
- Capital Transfer of at least €1.5 million
- Create ten new jobs for a Portuguese business or single-member company (reduced to eight positions if located in a low-density area)
- Buy commercial property in Portugal, worth €500K, anywhere in Portugal (Reduced to €400K if in a low-density area)
- Buy residential real estate in designated ‘interior’ areas of Portugal, worth €500K (Reduced to €400K if in a low-density area)
- €350K commercial real estate investment in a rehabilitation project (reduced to €280K property investment if located in a low-density area)
- €350K residential real estate investment in a rehabilitation project, located in a designated interior area of Portugal (reduced to €280K property investment if located in a low-density area)
- €250K investment into preserving national heritage
- Investment of at least €500K in scientific research
- €50K investment in an existing Portuguese business. Must incorporate or increase the share capital and create at least 5 full-time permanent j0bs for at least 3 years
- Investment funds into private equity funds- investment funds of €500K minimum can be made to a private equity fund.
Most popular investment option? Well, that would be investing in residential real estate in interior areas of Portugal or the investment fund. What makes real estate investments in Portugal so great is that the property market is doing well, there are plenty of excellent property options to choose from, and the possibility to earn back some of your investment in returns is real.
If unsure about investment pathways, crunch some stats here on top nationalities and investment routes to residency in our Portugal Golden Visa statistics article.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Yup, the investment options have changed for the Portugal Golden Visa, with some changes becoming more costly or revoked altogether. Read up on the Portugal Golden Visa changes here.
Step 3: Look at the document requirements
Don’t be fooled by how easy it is to submit your application online. The document requirements are extensive and long. To avoid disappointments or delays in your application processing, we suggest you carefully read up on the required paperwork beforehand. Even better, start compiling your list of documents early, so that you’re ready to go when the time comes to submit your application.
The document checklist is located on SEF’s website.
Step 4: Go to the Portal ARI and register
The next step is to register on the Portal ARI. Simply go to the Portal and create an account. Once you’ve done so and confirmed your email address, log into the portal with your account information and complete the registration process.
The following information needs to be supplied:
- Input a valid e-mail (Optional if you have a legal representative)
- Select the type of investment you’d like to make
- Identification steps
- Submit passport copy
- Input your address and phone number, preferably in the national territory
- If you have a legal representative, submit their email address
Step 5: Submit Golden Visa application via SEF portal
It’s time to lodge your Portugal Golden visa application. Simply complete the following steps:
- Login in via the Portal ARI
- Complete the application and hit submit
- Upload the necessary documents according to your investment type
- Submit the application with all documents required (documents should be in PDF format with a maximum of 4MB)
- Confirm application submission
- Proceed to “Payment”
- Supply your NIFnumber (tax registration number)
- Print the Single Collecting Document (DUC) with the analysis fee
- Submit the DUC in due time
- Wait to receive an e-mail from SEF. They’ll either say your application has been accepted and you can schedule an appointment with a SEF representative, or you must submit the application again.
Step 6: Book appointment with SEF representative
After SEF validates your application, you are ready to schedule your appointment with a SEF agent.
Do the following:
- Login at Portal ARI
- When you get to your application page, go to “Calendar”
- Select the bureau service (availability is guaranteed in several SEF bureau offices in Portugal
- Select Year/Month
- Select Day
- Select Time (if the vacancy is no longer available, schedule another date)
- After receiving an email confirmation with your appointment details, you must visit a SEF bureau service to deliver the necessary documents and submit biometric data.
Step 7: Receive your Portugal Golden Visa
Roughly four months after you visit a SEF agent, and provided that your application is approved of course, you just need to pay the government permit issue fee, then you can collect your residence card or get them to send to your nominated address.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Portugal Golden Visa Official Website
Does the Portugal Golden Visa lead to a permanent residence permit?
Yes, the Portugal Golden Visa can be converted to a permanent residence permit, provided that you can prove you’ve been residing in Portugal for at least five years.
Is Portugal citizenship possible with the golden visa?
Portugal citizenship is absolutely possible. To apply for Portuguese citizenship, you must hold your golden visa for a minimum of five years, and apply for Portuguese citizenship in the fifth year.
What are the benefits of applying for the golden visa program in Portugal?
Besides acquiring a residence permit for yourself and your immediate family members, you can get a permanent residence card after five years and Portuguese citizenship after five years.
Does the golden visa let you live in Portugal?
Yes it does. Basically, the golden visa is a temporary residence permit, that permits you to live, work, and study in Portugal freely as well as travel within the European Union without a visa. The temporary residence permit can be converted to a permanent residence card, provided that you have lived in the country for five years.
What are my investment options for the golden visa program?
You can choose from a mix of options, including property investment (buying real estate in Portugal that qualifies for the golden visa scheme), completing a capital transfer, investing in a venture capital fund (or other investment funds), investing in private scientific research institutions, etc. Golden visa applicants must maintain their investment activity for five years if they want to then qualify for citizenship.