Is Portugal expensive for Americans? The short answer is no! Of course, this depends on your budget, salary, or allowance money. Generally speaking though, for financially comfortable individuals or families looking to live in Portugal or travel around the beautiful country, they will be pleased to find out that prices in Portugal are extremely reasonable, and in general, the cost of living in Portugal is affordable.
How expensive is Portugal for Americans?
When planning a vacation to Portugal or even a move, it’s important to ask yourself how expensive is Portugal actually? The answer is not expensive at all! It’s actually ranked as one of the cheapest countries in Western Europe and is famous for its affordable food costs, cheap accommodation options, and reasonable transportation costs.
If you’re traveling to Portugal, expect to pay as low as:
- €20 per night for accommodation (per adult or even per room via Airbnb)
- €15 for a two-meal course per person
- €1.40 euros for a metro ride around Lisbon or Porto.
- €5 euros for most galleries or museums in Portugal, with some exceptions.
If you’re moving to Portugal, expect to pay as low as:
- €670 for a one-bedroomed flat close to the city center
- €100 in utility bills per month
- €40 for a monthly transportation pass
- €150 for a monthly grocery shop