The E-2 Visa program by the United States of America is one of the most sought after investor visa schemes in the world. In exchange for a significant investment in the country’s economy, this program permits individuals and their family members to reside and work in the United States. If you are a treaty investor, which means you’re a national of a country that has signed the E-2 treaty with the US, you need to establish a business or invest in a business in the US to be able to apply for the investor visa.
Important Note – Interested applicants should keep in mind that this visa is only applicable to citizens of a country that has signed the E-2 treaty with the US. Presently, 81 countries have an E-2 treaty with the United States. Among them, New Zealand has been the most recent E-2 treaty country to sign the agreement.
USA Business Visa – categories
There are three types of business visas in the USA, namely – L-1, EB-5 and E2
L-1 Business Visa- This type of business visa is further divided into two categories with respect to the nature of work – L-1A and L-1B.
L-1A Visas are for entrepreneurs and business managers located in countries outside the United States of America. To apply for the L-1A Visa, you need to make a substantial investment in a US based subsidiary and open an American bank account. Moreover, you need to show your business plan and prove your financial stability with regards to operating your business and personal sustenance in the US.
If you are an employee who has been transferred to the US due to work, you are eligible to apply for the L-1B Visa.
The registration process for the L-1 Visa applicants occurs in two distinct phases. In the first phase, the applicant shares all his/her documents in the US. During the second stage, the applicant needs to be present for an interview at the US consulate in a country where the US consulate is operative. It takes around four months for this process to be completed. The L-1 Visa is valid for up to a period of three years. The applicant’s visa is generally renewed after reviewing the performance of the company that the applicant is associated with. For the L-1 Visa renewal, the company must be able to prove its economic progress, and provide all financial statements. The L-1 Visa will cease if an applicant changes the company he/she has been serving or closes an existing business and starts a new business instead. After five years, the applicants with an L-1 Visa will be eligible to apply for a green card.
EB-5 Business Visa – This type of business visa is comparatively expensive and requires a lengthy processing time but is suitable for foreign nationals looking to invest in the United States at least for a period of five years. The minimum investment in this case amounts to $500,000. Investors can choose to direct their investment in an investor company or a US government-approved project.
It takes around two years to acquire an EB-5 Business Visa. Since the visa is given to a select number of people, it can take up to four years for the application to be processed. Once your application gets the go ahead from the Immigration department (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services), you will receive a conditional green card. The green card is valid for a period of two years. If you have an EB-5 Business Visa, you will also be eligible to apply for citizenship after five years.
E-2 Business Visa- The E-2 Business Visa is comparatively economical and is issued very quickly – within two to three weeks. This visa is perfect for foreign nationals who want to establish/invest in a business in the United States.
With an E-2 Visa, you are eligible to reside and work in the United States. This visa also permits you to bring your family members to the United States. With regards to entry and exit in the United States, there are no rules or regulations that an investor has to abide by with this kind of visa. Owing to these factors, the E-2 Business Visa is more flexible and attractive than a L-1 Visa or EB-5 Visa.
Applicants of the E-2 Business Visa must note that this type of visa will not lead to a US green card. However, after every two years, this visa can be renewed indefinitely. You just need to make sure that the business you invest in has a steady return on investment and development. Individuals with an E-2 Business Visa in the United States are eligible to reside there and apply for the EB-5 Immigrant Visa.
Overview of USA Business Visas
|Type of Visa||Investment Requirement||Processing Time|
L-1 business Visa
|No investment required. But the applicant needs to show that he/she works in a particular company||
4 months approx
|EB-2 business Visa||$500,000 and above||2 years or more|
|E-2 business Visa||There is no definite requirement. But usually the investment amounts to $200,000 or more||2 -3 weeks|
E-2 Visa Countries
Here’s the complete list of countries that have an E-2 Visa with the United States.
Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia And Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, DR Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Grenada, Honduras, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Liberia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Moldova Mongolia Montenegro, Morocco, Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Poland, Republic of the Congo, Romania, Senegal, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Trinidad And Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and United Kingdom.
E-2 Visa – Important Factors
- If you are a permanent resident in the European Union, your identification will be verified by an ID card. If the applicant abides by all rules and regulations, the card gets reissued after every five years. In this case, the individual doesn’t need to apply for permanent residence.
- Individuals can invest in any sector without having business management experience. In this case, the applicant needs to present a detailed business plan in front of the relevant authority. In addition to this, he/she also needs to showcase the returns garnered on the investment. Although there are no rules as to the number of jobs that a business has to create, it’s good to consider the number as five, meaning that your business should lead to the establishment of a minimum of five jobs in the US.
- The applicant must prove that he/she is financially stable to support his/her family members in the US for at least a time period of one year.
- This visa is only applicable to citizens of certain states that have a bilateral investment program with the United States. One such country is Grenada, which has its own Citizenship By Investment Program and also has an E-2 treaty agreement with the US.
To know about Grenada’s Citizenship by Investment Program, check out our article: Grenada Citizenship by Investment 2022 – The Ultimate Guide by Experts.
Citizenship By Investment Program – Grenada
Known as the “Spice Islands”, this West Indies country has one of the most attractive Citizenship By Investment programs in the world. From a stunning climate, economical tax regime, excellent education, economic opportunities, and thriving real estate investment options to offering a gateway to obtain the US E-2 Visa, this island country is steadily developing into a hotspot for foreign investors.
Grenada Citizenship By Investment Program – Investment Options
By applying for Grenada’s Citizenship by Investment – or CBI program for short – an individual can obtain Grenada citizenship by directing their investment in the country. An investor can receive citizenship within four to five months for themselves and their family. You can invest in Grenada through the following investment options:
- You can contribute to the national fund a minimum amount of $150,000. Investors should note that this amount will be non-refundable. If you have a family of two to four people, you need to pay an amount of $200,000. If you want to include more family members, you need to contribute an additional amount of $25,000-$75,000 on the basis of your relationship with the family member.
- Regardless of the number of family members, you will need to invest a minimum amount of $220,000 on a real estate project. Investors can also return this financial investment once he/she completes five years. To avail this course of action, investors need to contribute a special payment of $50,000 or above additionally.
There are two real estate investment options available for applicants-
- A single applicant can invest in a government approved real-estate project. The minimum amount needs to be $350K in this case.
- Alternatively, a minimum investment of $220K is needed per investor, up to a total investment of $440K for joint investments in a Grenada government-approved tourism accommodation sector.
You must note that you need to pay $5,000 (Diligence fee) regardless of the investment option that you choose. An applicant is also charged with a processing fee that amounts to $3,000 if he/she is an adult and $1,500 if the person is below the age of 18. As of 4 September 2023, Grenada requires applicants aged 17 and over to partake in a mandatory interview. As such, each applicant partaking in an interview will need to pay a $1,000 interview fee.
Grenada Permanent Residence
The Grenadian government has removed the Grenadian Permanent Residency status from the Citizenship by Investment procedure. Because of this, applicants no longer receive Permanent Residency cards and certificates.
Grenada Citizenship – Requirements
Read below the eligibility criteria that an investor needs to meet for obtaining citizenship in Grenada. The primary applicant looking to acquire Grenada citizenship through its CBI program should:
- Be 18 years old or older
- Not have a criminal record
- Be in good health
- Clear a background check successfully
- Proof of income
One of the biggest benefits of the Grenada Citizenship by Investment Program is that it covers the family members of the primary applicants. Family members of the applicant can reap multiple benefits of possessing a second passport for Grenada. To know more, check out our article: Everything you need to know about the Grenada passport. The following family members can apply for a Grenada passport –
- Spouse of the applicant
- Children below the age of 18
- Dependent children (18-29 years of age) dependent on the primary applicant or his/her spouse for Educational support
- Specially abled children of 18 years of age or above
- Supported parents or grandparents of the primary applicant or his/her spouse
- Unmarried and dependent siblings of the primary applicant or his/her spouse
Grenada Citizenship by Investment – Application Procedure
- First and foremost, you need to select an authorized consultancy to submit your application. The registered agency will guide you in collecting and preparing all the documents that you require for your application.
- Complete all of the application documentation as provided by your agent. Do make sure that all your paperwork is legal.
- Once you submit your application form, the Grenadian government will evaluate your application and initiate your background check.
- You need to then decide your investment route – whether you will go ahead with investing in a Grenada NTF fund or make a real estate investment. Pay the required amount and submit your investment proof.
- Once your payment is received by the relevant authority, a certificate of registration will be issued. After this, you will receive your second passport and obtain Grenada citizenship, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of dual citizenship.
Documents you need for Grenadian Citizenship
If you are applying for Grenadian citizenship, you need to fulfill certain Grenada immigration requirements and submit the following documents. Please note that you need to obtain the application forms from registered international agents.
- Client Facilitator Agreement
- Interview Application Form
- Form 1 specifying your personal data and information
- Form 2 highlighting your fingerprint, submitted in front of a licensed officer
- Form 3 that mentions the Particulars for the Office of Home Affairs
- Form 4 – a valid medical certificate
- Form 5 highlighting your employment, wealth, business and other similar details
- Form 6 – investment confirmation documentation
- Citizenship By Investment applicants aged 16 or more to submit the Thomson Reuters consent form
- Copies of purchase and sale documents or Escrow agreement and letter of engagement with a local agent
- Complete application form for your passport
- Oath of Allegiance (This is required for each family member who is above the age of 18)
- Sworn Affidavit that verifies and confirms the applicant’s parents’ names
Moreover, you also need these general documents to proceed further with your Grenada passport application.
- Two copies of your birth certificate.
- Copy of your current passport showcasing your name, photo, citizenship/nationality, date, place of issue, expiry date, passport number, and issuing country.
- 12 passport-sized photographs of applicants that have been taken within the last 6 months. In addition to this, one picture needs to be certified by a lawyer.
- Two copies of the applicant’s Marriage or divorce certificates.
- Copy of the applicant’s National ID or social security.
- Proof of the applicant’s Permanent residence ID or Permanent residence/
- Copy of the applicant’s military service card if he/she has been associated with military services
- Affidavit from spouse or ex-spouse with regards to children.
- Affidavit of support from dependents.
- Applicant’s education certificates and transcripts
Supporting documents that you need:
- Residential address proof of the applicant
- Original copy of the professional letter of reference
- A copy of the license of the lawyer certifying these documents
Keep these additional documents handy-
- Income/ salary pay slips
- Applicant’s CV
- Original copy of the reference letter from the bank of the primary applicant
- Bank statements for the last one year of the applicant’s personal bank account
- Police clearance record
Grenada Citizenship Benefits
- With a Grenada passport, an individual can travel visa free to 140 countries and more. Obtaining citizenship of Grenada ensures visa free travel to popular destinations like the Schengen area, Great Britain, Hong Kong and more. A Grenadian citizen can also apply for a tourist visa to the United States valid for a period of ten years.
- If an individual obtains Grenadian citizenship, he/she can open a bank account with a bank based out of America or Europe hassle-free. Moreover, you can also register your assets based on your second passport. Once you acquire citizenship in Grenada, you can also file your taxes in an efficient manner.
- If you are a Grenadian citizen, you can easily apply to obtain an investor visa to the United States. Having an US business visa will offer you an amazing lifestyle, including access to world class education, business opportunities and good healthcare. In addition to this, you along with your family members will be able to enter and exit the US easily. Be it business trips, vacations or family trips, you can enter and leave the US freely.
- The Grenada Citizenship by Investment processing time is really fast. Applicants can obtain Grenadian citizenship within 60 days.
- If you are applying for Grenadian citizenship, you need not stay in Grenada for any part of the application process. This means that there is no residency requirement for obtaining Grenadian citizenship.
- Grenada offers dual citizenship to all its citizens, implying that applicants don’t need to give up their first citizenship to become Grenada passport holders. In addition to this, the applicant’s future generations can also enjoy the benefits of a Grenadian passport
- Grenada is the only Caribbean country whose citizens can apply for an E-2 Visa and work and stay in the United States.
Grenada Visa-Free countries
If you have a Grenadian passport, here is a list of countries that you can travel easily without the requirement of a visa.
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Trinidad and Tobago
Trinidad and Tobago
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
E-2 Visa – Criteria For Investors
Investors looking to obtain an E-2 Visa need to meet the below-mentioned criteria.
- Investors should not direct his/her investment in a passive business, but should ensure the investment is placed in an active business that is running out of the United States.
- The Investor should be a 50% shareholder in the business that he/she decides to invest in.
- The business the investor invests in should garner profitable revenue, adequate enough to sustain the investor and his family in the United States.
Relocate to USA with Grenada Citizenship
Owing to the E-2 treaty signed between Grenada and the United States of America, Grenadian citizens can obtain the E-2 Visa by investing a qualifying amount in the economy of the United States. Foreign investors need to invest a minimum amount of $100,000 to apply for an E-2 Visa. Foreign nationals must note that this amount is significantly lower than the minimum investment amount required for an EB-5 Visa. In a few cases, based on the location and the business, an amount lower than $100,000 shall also be permitted to apply for an E-2 Visa.
US E-2 Visa – application process
- Applicants must meet all the criteria as specified by the E-2 immigration services
- Fill and complete the procedures of the DS-160 Form.
- Submit the application fees and book an appointment with the US Embassy located in Grenada.
- Sit for an interview at the US Embassy in Grenada. After your interview is scheduled with the US Embassy, start collecting all your documents with the help of an expert immigration consultancy.
Here is a list of documents that you will need:
- Completed DS-160 application
- A valid passport
- Two photographs of the applicant adhering the US Embassy rules and guidelines
- Receipt of the visa application payment
- Grenada citizenship proof – can be established through property investment papers
- Investment proof in a valid and active business in the US
- Bank statements of your business
- Tax return statements
- Organizational structure of your company
- Registration documentation of your business
- Licenses of your company
- Contractual agreements with employees
- Contractual agreements with clients
- Bank statements of your personal and business bank accounts
- Your business plan
US E-2 Visa Interview
To obtain the E-2 Visa, interested applicants need to sit for the E-2 Visa interview at the US Embassy in the country of Grenada. Applicants must note that this is the final stage and the processing time of the E-2 Visa can vary anywhere between two weeks to four months.
Stay Period for E-2 Visa holder
With an E-2 Visa, individuals and their family members can reside in the United States for an initial time period of five years. Once a person completes the initial five years, he/she can apply for extension after every two years. One must note that a person can apply extensions for an E-2 Visa for an indefinite period of time.
E2 Visa treaty between Grenada and the United States of America
Back in 1983, former US President Ronald Raegan signed the E2 Visa treaty between Grenada and the United States of America. Grenada is the only Caribbean country that has signed a bilateral agreement with the United States for the application of an E-2 Visa – allowing Grenadian citizens to reside and work in the United States in exchange for a considerable amount of investment in an operational US organization. As a result of this treaty, Grenada’s Citizenship By Investment Program has been alluring more and more foreign investors from non-treaty countries to gain Grenada citizenship through its CBI program. This in turn is resulting in more investors in the US economy.
E-2 Visa – Advantages for Investors
While a single applicant to an E-2 Visa enjoys many benefits of staying and working in the United States. The E-2 Visa also benefits the applicant’s family members.
Here we will list below the numerous advantages a foreign investor enjoys while he/she has an E-2 Visa in the US.
- An investor can renew his/her visa for an unlimited number of times, providing that the registered E-2 organization operates by adhering to all E-2 Visa rules and regulations.
- If you have an E-2 Visa, you will be levied no taxes on worldwide income. But one must know that to avail this option, the investor doesn’t spend more than 120 days in the United States each year.
- The investor’s spouse can start working in the United States by acquiring an Employment Authorization by the US administration.
- US public schools offer free education and dependent children of E-2 Visa holders below the age of 21 years don’t need to pay the same tuition fees as compared to other foreign students studying in the US.
- With an E-2 Visa, individuals are permitted to enter and exit the United States freely.
Global Citizen Solutions – How can we help you!
We prioritize our clients’ needs and wants before anything else. Our team of experts at Global Citizen Solutions continuously work towards crafting custom-made immigration services for our clients across the globe.
At Global Citizen Solutions, we work with our clients every step of the way during their citizenship by investment process. We also act and work like a compliance department, identifying and navigating risks that might cause potential harm or delay to your application process. To know more about the Grenadian citizenship by Investment program and E-2 Visa, you can contact us. We will be more than happy to walk you through the CBI program in detail or any other programs that might be of your interest. We are looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Grenada E-2 Visa?
Grenadian citizens are eligible for E-2 treaty Investor Visa. This means that Grenadian passport holders can apply for an E-2 Visa in the US. Once the E-2 Visa is approved, you can move and invest in a business in the United States.
How long does it take to get an E2 Visa Grenada?
Grenadian citizens can apply for an E2 Visa and get it approved within a time frame of three months.
What is the amount needed for an E-2 Visa?
To acquire an E-2 Visa, an applicant must be prepared to invest a minimum amount of $100,000 in the US economy.
Is the E2 Visa open?
Although there might be a delay in the interview wait time owing to Covid19 restrictions, the E-2 Visa is still open and available for interested applicants.
Do Grenada citizens need a Visa to the USA?
Yes, Grenadian citizens do require a visa to enter the United States of America. However, Grenadian citizens can apply for long-term multiple-entry visas for up to ten years if they wish to.
How long can US citizens stay in Grenada?
US citizens can stay in Grenada for a period of 90 days without a Grenadian visa.
Grenada immigration requirements?
Interested applicants can apply for Grenada citizenship from all anywhere the world. But application will be approved only after the candidate meets all the eligibility requirements and passes stringent background checks.