The Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU), also known as the St Kitts and Nevis Official Unit, is a government authority that runs and manages the country’s Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Program. In this article, we’ll look at what the role of the CIU is, different CBI investment options, and more.
What is the St Kitts and Nevis Official Unit?
The St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) is responsible for processing all applications submitted to the citizenship program. In addition to setting the framework for the program, the CIU thoroughly assesses each application, conducts strict due diligence checks, and decides whether to approve them.
The unit also issues a letter to the applicant informing them that their application is approved-in-principle. It is only after you have received this letter that you will be required to make your required investment.
The St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment Unit also reviews applications submitted by immigration companies to become Authorized Marketing Agents for the program. By law, applicants cannot submit their CBI applications directly to the CIU but must employ the services of an Authorized Agent who will submit them on their behalf. It is essential that applicants work with Authorized Agents that are licensed by the St Kitts and Nevis Official Unit to market and promote the country’s CBI Program, as they have exclusive rights to act as CIP International Marketing Agents for the country.
Global Citizen Solutions is an Authorized International Marketing Agent licensed by the Citizenship by Investment Unit St Kitts and Nevis.
Who is the President of the CIU?
Michael Martin is the Director of Citizenship by Investment in St Kitts and Nevis. As Head of the CIU, Martin ensures that St Kitts and Nevis’ Citizenship by Investment Program evolves based on a sustainable model that is filled with integrity, transparency, and accountability.
Citizenship by investment program
St Kitts and Nevis’ Citizenship by Investment Program was established in 1984 and is the world’s longest-standing CBI program. It allows individuals and families to obtain citizenship on the basis of an economic contribution to the country and is considered one of the best CBI programs in the world. St Kitts and Nevis offers a number of advantages under its CBI program, such as diverse business opportunities, citizenship legacy, wealth planning, the opportunity for portfolio diversification, and more. Furthermore, investments made to the program are used to help build sustainable and modern infrastructure that benefits all of the country’s citizens.
The program offers three different routes for investment, namely a contribution to the Sustainable Island State Contribution (SISC), real estate purchase, or the Public Good Investment Option.
You can read more about the country’s economic citizenship program in our article: St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment – The Ultimate Guide by Experts.
Sustainable Island State Contribution (SISC) Option
Investors make a minimum non-refundable contribution of $250,000 to the Sustainable Island State Contribution (SISC), which has replaced the Sustainable Growth Fund as per an announcement made on 27 July 2023.
This announcement detailed significant changes to the country’s Citizenship by Investment Program in terms of pricing, family eligibility requirements, the due diligence process, and more.
Real estate investment
Applicants to the real estate option can make a minimum investment of $400,000 in pre-approved real estate shares, purchase a condominium unit for a minimum of $400,000, or purchase a single-family private dwelling for a minimum of $800,000. The real estate investment must be held for seven years, after which it can be resold.
Public Benefit Option (PBO)
Applicants can make a minimum investment of $250,000 directly into a project that is pre-approved by the government. These Approved Public Benefit Projects are used to benefit the population of St Kitts and Nevis.
More on St Kitts and Nevis
St Kitts and Nevis is one of the five Caribbean countries that run a Citizenship by Investment Program. This twin island nation is a member of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) and is known for its fabulous beaches and tropical waters. The country recognizes dual citizenship, and St Kitts and Nevis passport holders benefit from visa-free travel to over 140 countries, including the Schengen Zone, the UK, Hong Kong, and Russia. Citizens also enjoy a number of tax benefits, such as no income tax on worldwide income, no capital gains tax, and no inheritance tax.
You can read more in our article: Everything You Need to Know About the St Kitts and Nevis Passport.
Finally, citizenship is lifelong, meaning it can be passed on to future generations. In addition to these benefits of obtaining economic citizenship in this beautiful Caribbean nation, living in this slice of paradise allows you and your family members can enjoy a peaceful life surrounded by picturesque natural beauty, warm weather, diverse cultures, and pristine beaches.
Citizenship by Investment - Application Process
1. Choose your investment route
2. Complete all application forms
3. Submit your application
4. Receive approval from the CBIU
5. Make your investment
6. Become a St Kitts and Nevis citizen
- Choose your investment route: Decide which of the investment routes is best for you, either making a non-refundable contribution to the Fund or PBO or purchasing real estate.
- Gather documents and complete all application forms: Complete all the forms and necessary documents as provided by Global Citizen Solutions.
- Submit your application through an agent: Your dedicated specialist will submit the application on your behalf*. The main applicant will need to partake in a mandatory interview, which will take place virtually (by default) or in person**.
- Receive the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) approval of application: Within four months (120 days) months of applying, you will receive a confirmation letter with the status ‘approved in principle’.
- Make your investment: Make the investment, pay the additional fees, and send proof to the CIU.
- Become a citizen: You and your family will be granted citizenship of St Kitts and Nevis and receive your passports at an address of your choice.
*The CIU doesn’t accept applications directly from applicants but only from Authorized Agents who are previously approved. These agents will provide the forms and submit the application.
**A mandatory interview as part of the application process is part of the new requirements. Dependents aged 16 and over may also be asked to partake in a mandatory interview.
Why use Global Citizen Solutions?
Global Citizen Solutions is a multidisciplinary firm offering bespoke residence and citizenship solutions in Europe and the Caribbean. In a world where the economy and politics are unpredictable, having a second citizenship opens up opportunities and creates flexibility for you and your family.
So, why work with Global Citizen Solutions to obtain St Kitts and Nevis citizenship?
- Authorized International Marketing Agent. Global Citizen Solutions have official certification by the Government of St Kitts and Nevis to promote and market their Citizenship by Investment program. You can find a copy of our certificate by clicking the image on the right
- Global approach by local experts. We are corporate members of the Investment Migration Council, with local expertise in all five Caribbean CBI programs.
- 100 percent approval rate. We have never had a case rejected and will offer you an initial, free-of-charge, due diligence assessment before signing any contract.
- Independent service and full transparency. We will present to you all the investment options available, and all expenses will be discussed in advance, with no hidden fees.
- An all-encompassing solution. A multidisciplinary team of immigration lawyers, investment specialists, and tax experts will take into consideration all your and your family's mobility, tax, and lifestyle needs.
- Confidential service and secure data management. All private data is stored within a GDPR-compliant database on a secure SSL-encrypted server.
Contact us to start your citizenship by investment journey.
Frequently Asked Questions About the St Kitts and Nevis Official Unit
What is the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) in St Kitts and Nevis?
The St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment is a government authority that runs the country’s Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Program. The CIU processes all applications, conducting due diligence checks and determining whether applicants qualify for citizenship.
How long does it take to become a citizen of St Kitts and Nevis?
The processing time for a St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment application is 120 days (four months). The Accelerated Application Process (AAP), which applicants could opt for at an additional cost, is no longer available as per an announcement made on 27 July 2023.
I am not married but have a fiancé, can they be included?
The following family members can be included in your CBI application:
- Children of the main applicant or spouse, under 18; aged between 18 and 25, in education and financially supported by the main applicant or spouse; or aged 18 or over and physically/mentally challenged
- Parents of the main applicant or the spouse aged 65 or above, living with and fully supported by the applicant
Grandparents and siblings are no longer eligible to be included as dependents. This is in accordance with new regulations to the program, announced on 27 July 2023.
Can my adopted children be included in my application?
Yes, your adopted children can be included in your application, provided they are under 18; aged between 18 and 25, in education and financially dependent on the main applicant or spouse; or aged 18 or over and physically/mentally challenged.
I am not married but may marry in the future, will I be able to add my partner?
Yes, you will have the option to include your partner at a later date, even if you are not currently married. However, please be aware that there might be certain requirements, government fees, and due diligence charges associated with adding your partner to the process.
Do I have to have an interview for citizenship?
All main applicants to the country’s CBI program must partake in a mandatory interview as part of the application process. Dependents aged 16 and over may also be asked to partake in a mandatory interview. This is in accordance with regulations published on 19 July 2023.
What are the investment options for St Kitts and Nevis citizenship?
The St Kitts and Nevis citizenship program offers three investment options to acquire citizenship: a non-refundable contribution of at least $250,000 to a government fund, a real estate purchase of at least $400,000, or a minimum contribution of $250,000 to an Approved Public Benefit Project.