The Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU), also known as the Dominica Official Unit, is a government authority that handles all matters relating to the country’s Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Program. In this article, we discuss the role of the CIU, the investment options available under the CBI Program, and more.
What is the Dominica Official Unit?
The Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) is a government authority that handles all matters relating to the Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Program in the Commonwealth of Dominica. The CIU is responsible for processing all applications submitted to the citizenship program. Once your application has been submitted with the help of an Authorized Agent, the CIU conducts a due diligence check and makes a recommendation to the government regarding whether or not the application meets the requirements and should be approved.
For successful applications, the CIU issues a letter to the applicant stating that their application has been approved in principle. The Unit also issues a Certificate of Registration (COR) to the applicant once they have been granted Dominica citizenship.
In addition to this, the Citizenship by Investment Unit Dominica grants licenses to immigration companies that have been approved to market and promote the CBI Program. These Authorized Marketing Agents assist applicants by submitting their CBI applications to the CIU on their behalf.
It is essential that applicants work with Authorized Agents that are licensed by the Dominica Official Unit to market and promote the country’s CBI Program, as they have exclusive rights to act as CIP International Marketing Agents for the country. Applications submitted directly to the CIU by the applicant will not be accepted.
Who is the President of the CIU?
Ambassador Emmanuel Nanthan is the Director of the Citizenship by Investment Unit in Dominica and has held this position since 2015. Part of the responsibility of the Director of the Unit is to ensure the program works in accordance with international best practices and to strengthen and safeguard the integrity of the program.
Dominica citizenship by investment program
The Dominica Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Program was established in 1993 and has been awarded the prize of best CBI program for four years in a row by the CBI Index. The CBI program aims to boost foreign investment in the country by allowing individuals to obtain Dominica citizenship in exchange for an economic contribution and offers two routes for investment: The Economic Diversification Fund (EDF) and real estate investment.
The program is popular due to its relatively affordable investment options, streamlined application process, and no residence requirements.
Economic Diversification Fund (EDF)
Investors can make a non-refundable minimum contribution of $100,000 to the Economic Diversification Fund (EDF), which is used to support projects that help the development of Dominica.
You can read more in our article: Dominica Economic Diversification Fund (EDF).
Real estate investment
Investors can invest a minimum of $200,000 in government-approved real estate. Available options tend to be shares in high-end tourist accommodation, and the property must be held by the applicant for at least three years. Examples of projects under the real estate investment option have included Delices, Castle Bruce, Cotton Hill, Jungle Bay, and the Kempinski Resort.
The impact of Dominica’s Citizenship by Investment Program is seen in its funding of programs like ‘Yes, We Care’, which helps to care for its elderly population. The program has also been used to support the development of climate-resilient housing on the island, improve the country’s healthcare system, support clean renewable energy projects, and develop infrastructure.
More on Dominica
Dominica is known as the ‘Nature Island’ of the Caribbean because of its remarkable natural beauty and the great variety of flora and fauna found on its land. The island boasts a number of stunning beaches, waterfalls, mountains, and rainforests and is a popular destination for retirees, families, and even digital nomads.
Obtaining a Dominica passport enables the holder visa-free travel to over 140 countries, including the Schengen Zone, China, and Russia, and access to a beneficial tax environment where there are exemptions on capital gains tax and no income, wealth, or inheritance tax. Finally, Dominica recognizes dual citizenship, meaning you can maintain your original nationality as well as pass your Dominica citizenship down to future generations.
Citizenship by Investment - Application Process
1. Choose your investment route
2. Complete all application forms
3. Submit your application
4. Receive approval from the CIU
5. Make your investment
6. Become a Dominica citizen
- Choose your investment route: Decide which of the investment routes is best for you, either making a non-refundable contribution to the Economic Diversification Fund or purchasing real estate.
- Complete all application forms: Complete all the forms and necessary documents as provided by Global Citizen Solutions.
- Submit your application: Your dedicated specialist will submit the application on your behalf.
- Receive the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) approval of application: Within three to six months of applying, you will receive a confirmation letter with the status ‘approved in principle’.
- Make your investment: Make the investment, pay the additional fees, and send proof to the CIU.
- Become a citizen: You and your family will be granted citizenship of Dominica and receive your passports at an address of your choice.
Why use Global Citizen Solutions?
Global Citizen Solutions is a multidisciplinary firm offering bespoke residence and citizenship solutions in Europe and the Caribbean. In a world where the economy and politics are unpredictable, having a second citizenship opens up opportunities and creates flexibility for you and your family.
- Global approach by local experts: We are corporate members of the Investment Migration Council, with local expertise in all five Caribbean CBI programs.
- 100 percent approval rate: We have never had a case rejected and will offer you an initial, free-of-charge, due diligence assessment before signing any contract.
- Independent service and full transparency: We will present to you all the investment options available, and all expenses will be discussed in advance, with no hidden fees.
- An all-encompassing solution: A multidisciplinary team of immigration lawyers, investment specialists, and tax experts will take into consideration all your and your family's mobility, tax, and lifestyle needs.
- Confidential service and secure data management: All private data is stored within a GDPR-compliant database on a secure SSL-encrypted server.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Dominica Official Unit
What is the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CBIU) in Dominica?
The Citizenship by Investment Dominica, also known as the Dominica Official Unit, is a government authority that runs the country’s Citizenship by Investment (CBI) Program. The CBIU or CIU processes all applications, conducts thorough due diligence checks, and provides recommendations to the government regarding the approval of Citizenship by Investment applications.
What is the minimum investment for Dominica citizenship?
The minimum investment amount for a single applicant to the Dominica citizenship program is $100,000. In addition to the minimum qualifying contribution, you will need to pay additional fees such as government fees and due diligence fees. Furthermore, the overall cost of the application will depend on the number of family members included in the application.
Does the Dominica economic citizenship program have interview requirements?
As per new regulations implemented in July 2023, Dominica requires main applicants to its CBI program to partake in mandatory interviews. Additionally, dependents aged 16 and over must also attend a mandatory interview. These interview requirements add an extra layer to the program’s due diligence process.