Spain is a fantastic European destination praised for its optimal quality of life, delicious cuisine, and marvelous beaches. Due to its prestige, Spain is acknowledged throughout the world, and Spanish citizens benefit from a very powerful passport, allowing them visa-free travel to 187 countries around the world — including the Schengen zone. This guide will introduce you to everything you need to know about the Spanish passport.
Spanish passport rank
The Spanish passport has one of the highest passport rankings in the world. Ranked 4th according to the Henley Passport Index, the passport guarantees visa-free access to 187 countries, as well as the opportunity to freely travel and access European countries.
Spanish passport application
Launched in 2013, the Spain Golden Visa Program gives investors and their families the incredible opportunity to obtain a Spanish passport in exchange for an investment in the country’s economy.
Several investment routes are available to investors such as:
- Invest a minimum of €500K in real estate
- Make a bank deposit of at least €1m
- Invest at least €1m in shares of Spanish businesses
- Contribute €2m in government bonds
- Start a business in Spain that generates employment, contributes to technological/or scientific innovation, or has a strong socio-economic impact
To learn more about the Spain Golden Visa scheme and investment routes, please take a look at our ultimate guide by Golden Visa consultants.
- The applicant must be over 18 years old
- The applicant must possess a clear criminal record
- The applicant must not be on the nation’s list of undesirable people
- The applicant must hold valid medical insurance and an official health certificate
- The applicant must not have previously been refused visas or entry into the Schengen zone
- The applicant must have enough funds to reside in Spain
- The applicant must make a qualifying investment and provide proof of the respective financial investment
Do I need to stay in Spain?
In order to obtain the Spanish citizenship through the Spain Golden Visa program, you need to fulfill a few stay requirements:
- The passport can be obtained after ten years
- Applicants must have resided in Spain at least six months per year throughout that time in order to qualify
- Investors must travel to Spain twice a year
How to get a Spanish passport by investment?
Here are the steps you will need to follow in order to get Spanish citizenship:
- Decide on your investment route
- Make the qualifying financial investment
- Prepare and legalize your documents
- File an initial government application with the Spanish consulate
- Book your interview
- Attend a biometric collections session in Spain
- Open a bank account and obtain a NIE (Foreigner’s Identification Number)
- Get your residency certificate which will be valid for one year (you will need to renew it every year)
- Apply for Spain Golden Visa citizenship
The fast-track application process for nationals from former Spanish colonies
Applicants from former Spanish colonies can obtain the Spanish citizenship through a fast-track application process of over two years, providing they meet the minimum stay requirement. The stay requirement is to travel to Spain every two and a half months to three months, or eight times in total within a total of 730 days.
Is it worth owning a Spanish passport?
It is absolutely worth it to have a second passport from Spain. Not only will you and your family members be able to live, work and study in one of the best countries in Europe, but your worldwide opportunities will broaden, with visa-free access to 187 countries in the world.
Talk to a Global Citizen Solutions specialist
Interested in getting a second passport? Talk to one of our professional team members at Global Citizen Solutions. As a boutique investor immigration firm, we have a 100% success rate in citizenship by investment applications.
We offer a service tailored to your specific needs and requirements. Our team of experts will work diligently from start to finish, ensuring a successful application.
Professionalism and integrity are at the core of all we do.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Spanish passport
How can I get a Spanish passport?
As a non-European citizen, you can get a passport from Spain by applying for the Spain Golden Visa Program, which allows you to get Spanish citizenship in exchange for an investment in the country’s economy.
What are the benefits of having a Spanish passport?
The benefits of having a Spanish passport are multiple: visa-free travel to 187 countries; the right to live, work and study in Spain; the entire family is eligible to get the passport; and the passport provides for fantastic investment opportunities.
How long does it take to get a Spanish passport?
It takes 10 years to get the Spanish citizenship through the Spain Golden Visa Program.
How much does it cost to get a Spanish passport?
In order to get a Spain passport by investment, you need to invest at least €500K in Spanish real estate.