Digital nomads, entrepreneurs, investors, high-net-worth individuals… the list goes on and on when it comes to the type of applicants investing in the coveted Portugal Golden Visa scheme and acquiring a residence permit. While there are a number of eligible pathways to secure Portuguese residency, investing in Portugal Golden Visa properties is by far the most popular investment route to secure residence permits for yourself and your family members.
In this guide, learn about what it takes to buy Portugal Golden Visa properties with the ultimate question- what real estate qualifies?
Portugal Golden Visa: In Brief
Portugal’s high quality of life, gorgeous climate, and tax incentive schemes make seeking Portuguese residency in this exotic European nation worth it. The Portugal Golden Visa is an attractive residency by investment initiative that rewards investors with a temporary residence permit, in exchange for a qualifying investment in the country. With a Portuguese residence card, you can legally live, work and study in Portugal, with the option to become a permanent resident after five years, and Portuguese citizenship after six years.
Learn more about the Portugal Golden Visa in our Golden Visa Portugal Ultimate Guide.
Benefits of real estate investment
Think, a lifestyle upgrade, excellent weather, friendly people, and proximity to the coast. These are just some of the reasons why non-EU nationals are coming to Portugal in droves and snapping up properties here.
If that’s not enough to convince you, here are some extra benefits of opting for the real estate investment route:
- Buy property worth €500K (or €400K if in a low-density area) and secure the golden visa
- Acquire EU residency, with visa-free travel to all of Europe
- Portuguese citizenship (EU citizenship essentially) is granted after six years
- Invest in a dynamic real estate market
- Potential to earn investment back with high return rates
- Huge variety in property types to invest in across the country
- Immediate family members are eligible for the Golden Visa
Property investment options under the golden visa
- Buy property for sale in Portugal, via the Portuguese Golden Visa real estate investment route of €500K in Real Estate- (Reduced to €400K if located in a low-density area)
- Portuguese Golden Visa €350K real estate investment in rehabilitation project (reduced to €280K if located in a low-density area)
- Invest €350K in investment funds (real estate fund option possible)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Come 1 January 2022, the Portugal Golden Visa program will significantly change. Namely, some golden visa investment options will be revoked or altered. Buying real estate anywhere in the country will no longer be possible for the Golden Visa holder, with key hotspot areas like Lisbon, Porto, and the coastal areas of the Algarve off-limits.
While it’ll still be possible to make a property investment, these investments will be limited to Portugal’s interior, low-density areas. The good news is, there are no real estate investment restrictions for the Azores and Madeira islands. We cover the in-depth changes in our Portugal Golden Visa Changes article.