Digital nomads, entrepreneurs, investors, high-net-worth individuals… the list goes on and on when it comes to the type of applicants investing in the coveted Portugal Golden Visa scheme and acquiring a residence permit. While there are a number of eligible pathways to secure Portuguese residency, investing in Portugal Golden Visa properties is by far the most popular investment route to secure residence permits for yourself and your family members.
In this guide, learn about what it takes to buy Portugal Golden Visa properties with the ultimate question- what real estate qualifies?
Portugal Golden Visa: In Brief
Portugal’s high quality of life, gorgeous climate, and tax incentive schemes make seeking Portuguese residency in this exotic European nation worth it. The Portugal Golden Visa is an attractive residency by investment initiative that rewards investors with a temporary residence permit, in exchange for a qualifying investment in the country. With a Portuguese residence card, you can legally live, work and study in Portugal, with the option to become a permanent resident after five years, and Portuguese citizenship after six years.
Learn more about the Portugal Golden Visa in our Golden Visa Portugal Ultimate Guide.
Benefits of real estate investment
Think, a lifestyle upgrade, excellent weather, friendly people, and proximity to the coast. These are just some of the reasons why non-EU nationals are coming to Portugal in droves and snapping up properties here.
If that’s not enough to convince you, here are some extra benefits of opting for the real estate investment route:
- Buy property worth €500K (or €400K if in a low-density area) and secure the golden visa
- Acquire EU residency, with visa-free travel to all of Europe
- Portuguese citizenship (EU citizenship essentially) is granted after five years
- Invest in a dynamic real estate market
- Potential to earn investment back with high return rates
- Huge variety in property types to invest in across the country
- Immediate family members are eligible for the Golden Visa
Property investment options under the golden visa
To qualify for the Portugal Golden Visa, the following real estate investment routes are available:
- Buy residential property in designated interior areas of Portugal worth at least €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a rehabilitation project. If the residential property is located in a designated ‘low-density’ area, then a 20% discount applies (amounting to €400K and €280K respectively).
- Buy commercial real estate anywhere in Portugal worth €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a rehabilitation project. If the commercial property is located in a designated ‘low-density’ area, then a 20% discount applies.
Buy residential and commercial real estate anywhere in Portugal’s autonomous islands of Madeira and Azores, worth at least €500,000 or €350,000 if investing in a rehabilitation project.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Portugal Golden Visa Program has significantly changed this year, which has meant that some property investment options have been revoked or become more expensive. For a complete overview of the changes, consult our Portugal Golden Visa changes guide here