If you are thinking about living in St Kitts and Nevis, you are probably wondering what the best place to stay is in St Kitts and Nevis. This article introduces you to some of the best cities to live in St Kitts and Nevis.
About St Kitts and Nevis
Famous for its first-class beaches and dramatic landscapes, St Kitts and Nevis is a country located in the eastern part of the Caribbean. Composed of two islands – St Kitts, the biggest and busiest island, and Nevis, the smaller and more exotic island – the country has the advantage of offering both great activities and tranquility. With the major language being English, a favorable tax regime, and convenient proximity with the US, St Kitts and Nevis is a destination enjoyed by foreigners seeking to live in the Caribbean.
List of the Best Cities to Live in St Kitts and Nevis
Live in Basseterre – St Kitts
The bustling capital city of St Kitts — Basseterre — is the heart of the country’s economy. In Basseterre, you will find plenty of shops and restaurants to enjoy, as well as many resorts.
Due to its long history of colonial struggle, the city has important cultural monuments and a particular ancient architecture – such as the Circus area and independence square.
History is however not the only highlight of the city: in Basseterre, you will find plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy, such as golfing, diving, snorkeling, windsurfing, and sunbathing.
Live in Sandy Point Town – St Kitts
Sandy Point is the second largest town of St Kitts. Notorious for its Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park – a UNESCO World Heritage site -, Sandy Point offers a precious view of the Caribbean sea.
The city is also home to a range of fantastic restaurants and hotels where you will be able to sample the delicious local cuisine.
In Sandy Point, enjoy a beautiful city surrounded by incredible beaches and very diverse marine wildlife.
Live in Charlestown – Nevis
As the chief town and port in Nevis, Charlestown is smaller than Basseterre. Its architecture and streets, filled with history, are marvelous to observe.
If Nevis is a quieter island than St Kitts, Charlestown is an exception to the rule. Being the main city of Nevis, it vibrates with activities. Walk down its narrow streets and enjoy its many bars, restaurants, and shops open until late at night.
The closest beach is approximately 2 km away from the city center, so you can easily go for a swim or a boat excursion.
Live in Bath – Nevis
A small and charming village located in Nevis, Bath is located south of Charlestown. Conveniently situated near Nevis’ chief town, it boasts a quieter vibe, far away from the main city’s thriving energy.
Situated near a large volcanic hot spring, the village has been renowned for centuries for its healing therapeutic bathing practices.
Surrounded by hills, the village is a great place to live for hikers and outdoor explorers.
How to Live Permanently in St Kitts and Nevis
In order to live permanently in St Kitts and Nevis, several visa options are available:
- Permanent residency: if you own land or property in St Kitts and Nevis, and you wish to live on the island for more than 3 consecutive months, you are allowed to apply for residency. The permit will however need to be renewed annually.
- Citizenship by naturalization: You can apply for St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Naturalization providing you have resided in the country for more than 15 years.
- Citizenship by investment: Launched in 1984, the St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment Program offers outstanding individuals the amazing opportunity to get a St Kitts and Nevis passport, provided that an investment of at least $250,000 is made in either a government fund or at least $400,000 in pre-approved real estate.
If you want to know more about the St Kitts and Nevis Citizenship by Investment Program, take a look at our St Kitts and Nevis’s ultimate guide to citizenship by local experts.
St Kitts and Nevis real estate
The St Kitts and Nevis real estate market offers a wide variety of property options. From family homes, hotel boutiques, and luxury villas, to owning shares of beautiful hotels, St Kitts and Nevis has plenty of real estate investment opportunities.
In order for a foreigner to purchase property in St Kitts and Nevis, several options are available:
- Apply for the Alien Landholding License: it takes two to three months to get approved and amounts to 10 percent of the property value.
- Buy property through the Citizenship by Investment Program: you can choose to invest at least $400,000 in an Approved Development or condominium unit or at least $800,000 in a single-family private dwelling. The investment must be held for at least seven years.
What are the best places to stay in St Kitts and Nevis?
Basseterre and Sandy Point in St Kitts and Charlestown and Bath in Nevis are some of the best places to stay in St Kitts and Nevis.
As a foreigner, can I buy property in St Kitts and Nevis?
As a foreigner, you can buy St Kitts and Nevis real estate by applying for the Alien Landholding License, or through the Citizenship by Investment Program.
How can I reside permanently in St Kitts and Nevis?
In order to reside permanently in St Kitts and Nevis, you will need to apply for the permanent residency or get St Kitts and Nevis citizenship through the Citizenship by Investment Program or through naturalization.
How can I get St Kitts and Nevis citizenship?
To get St Kitts and Nevis citizenship you will need to make an investment of at least $250,000 in government funds or make an investment of at least $400,000 in approved real estate.